Doctors recommend we get 60-minutes of physical activity every day to stay healthy and prevent chronic disease. As many of us are now at home, that gets harder to do. The Y has partnered with CycleHealth, who are experts at creating engaging and inclusive challenges for kids, to develop a way to help keep kids and families active. Introducing 12Bursts.
12Bursts is a fun new way to be active right from home. Each day’s challenge includes 12, five-minute bursts of activity that are kid-friendly and don’t require any special skills or equipment. A new set of FREE bursts will load every day.
Stay active and have fun. Try it today and invite your friends to try it, too.
STORY TIME WITH ALLIE
It's story time with Allie! Follow along as she reads Gruffalo, by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
STORY TIME WITH SARAH
Join story time with Sarah! Follow along as she reads Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney
This is a basic Shaolin Kids class
Grab the kids and let's get moving
STORY TIME WITH ALLIE
Join story time with Allie! Follow along as she reads The Legend of Rock, Paper and Scissors by Drew Daywalt
STANDING YOGA WITH KARA
Shift your weight from side to side and shimmy with Kara
STORY TIME WITH ARLENE
Story time with Arlene! Follow along as she reads Book Fiesta (English and Spanish) by Pat Mora
WIND CHIME CRAFT WITH SARAH
Follow along with Sarah and let your child's artistic talents and expression shine
PAPER PLATE CRAFT WITH SARAH
Follow up with Sarah and create a paper plane Bunny
Keep the learning going with these free high quality educational resources.
- Brain Pop and Brain Pop Junior - Make any room a classroom: BrainPop is here to help you and your learners stay informed and on-track
- Khan Academy - Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom
- Scholastic at Home - Day-by-Day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing
- Facing History - Facing History creates resources to empower teachers and students to think critically about pivotal moments in history. Here are the topics areas of our educator resources.
- Hippo Campus - Thousands of educational videos in multiple subjects for middle school through college
- Sesame Street® Learning Resources - Fostering fun and positive learning experiences for children
- KET at-home Learning - KET and PBS are here for parents with on-air and online resources to help ensure learning continues at home
- Project Gutenberg - Browse this library of over 60,000 free e-books, download or read them online
- Pour Over Pot Painting Lesson Plan - Have fun while painting a flower pot and then plant your favorite flower
- Art in Action - Art is a great tool for engaging the imagination. It offers an outlet for a broad range of emotions and an opening for dialog around the art created
- EDSITEment! National Endowment for the Humanities - Excellence in humanities education
- Science Activities and Resources - Things to read, see and do
- NATGeo for Kids - From animals to space, you and your kids will go on a journey to all areas of the world
- NASA Materials for the Classroom - Innovative and informative educational materials that engage student interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- American Association of Chemistry Teachers - Keeping kids exploring science
- Let's Blow Balloons - How long does a balloon take to inflate? Try this experiment and learn about how solids and liquids combine to create gas
Strava makes tracking your next activity easy. Record your runs, rides and more, and see your performance stats on Strava as soon as you're done.
The YMCA of Central Kentucky recently created a Club on Strava, which includes a weekly leaderboard, filtered activity, discussion forum and group events – complete with routes and details. These can be recurring weekly rides or runs with the option to RSVP “I’m in” so you can know who to expect.
- Link up and share workouts with other YMCA of Central Kentucky members by joining our club.
- 5K Fridays – complete a run or walk of at least 3.1 miles each Friday + other fun weekly challenges.
- Opportunities to connect mind and body through regular meditations to do once per week during activities.
- Encourage each other by offering ‘kudos’ or words of encouragement to club members as they complete activities.