Black Achievers Program
YMCA Black Achievers is a college and career readiness program that provides equitable access, opportunities, and support to ensure success after high school for historical marginalized youth. Students, known as “Achievers”, are exposed to academic support, career exploration, mentoring, and social/emotional well-being programs. Achievers are supported by YMCA staff, volunteers, and Adult Achievers as they develop mind, body, and spirit.
Looking for specific information? Use the accordions below to find what you're looking for.
- Exposure to colleges and career in: Academia ~ Business ~ Art/Media/Entertainment ~ Law/Government/Policy ~ STEM & Agriculture ~ Healthcare
- College & Career Prep ~ Life/Social Skills ~ Mentorship & Tutoring
- Increase confidence in self ~ Increase confidence in future ~ Increase opportunities and resources available
- 2023-24 program year runs August 2023 through May 2024
- Saturday Summits are held from 9 a.m. - Noon on the second and fourth Saturday of each month unless otherwise noted.
- View Schedule
- 6-12th grade students and their parents/guardians
- $50 per student (non-refundable)
Program registration is now open.
- Meeting Times: Every 2nd and 4th Saturday (with some exceptions) of every month. View program schedule
- Cost: $50 due upon registration (non-refundable).
Attendance & Eligibility – Students must attend 80% of sessions, unless there is an exception. Please contact the Black Achiever Program Director if you do not plan to attend, attendance will be excused for valid reasons.
If you would like to donate your time and experience with the YMCA Black Achievers, please complete our volunteer interest form, and a staff member will follow up with you to schedule a consultation.
- Cluster Leaders – Cluster leaders are required to commit to multiple Saturdays and stay for the duration of the program. The program director will contact you directly for your commitment schedule. If a lead cannot make it to their committed Saturday, please let the program director know at least 1 week before the Saturday so the spot may be filled. BA staff will work to ensure all updates are clearly communicated within a reasonable amount of time.
- General Volunteers – General volunteers may sign up for as many sessions as they would like. Please refer to the Volunteer Opportunities for a complete list of needs. Staff must be signed up for a session at least 1 week prior to sessions.
- Cancellations Volunteer cancellations less than 1 week before the session date must be discussed with the Director.