PURSUE YOUR DREAMS
YMCA Achievers is a nationally known college and career readiness program aimed to support student's higher education and career goals.
The YMCA of Central Kentucky Black Achievers Program serves students in grades 6-12, through dedicated volunteers, educational institutions, corporate sponsors and community partners who support the program through time, talents and treasures.
Founded in 1985, Black Achievers continues to support youth in academics, career exploration & planning, mentoring and post secondary support. Participants develop relationships, build character and interact with professionals who serve as role models to inspire them to pursue their dreams.
- Improved Academics: The program provides access to high-quality enrichment opportunities, tutoring, skill building and social/emotional support.
- Life Options: The program exposes students to careers in arts and culture, business and finance, career and technical education, communication, computer science and web design, culinary arts and hospitality, education, engineering, government, service and law, medical and sports management.
- Developmental Assets: The program provides youth with resources to increase internal and external assets including positive experiences and student development.
- Relationships: Black Achievers helps establish meaningful and long-term relationships among program participants and positive adults within the community
Participants and Families
The Black Achievers Program meets every second and fourth Saturday and provides a variety of opportunities:
- Workshops on SAT/ACT preparation
- Study skills/time management
- Interviewing techniques
- Financial Literacy
- Team-building field trips
- Community service-learning projects
- College tours
Due to COVID-19, program sessions for the first semester of 2020-2021 school year will be held virtually via Zoom. Please see the program calendar in the Quick Links for dates and times. We will adhere to all state guidelines and recommendations in preparation for the second semester.
Scholarships are provided to senior participants who serve a number of years in the program and who successfully complete the Senior Scholarship Portfolio. Scholarships provide students with the support they need to meet post-secondary goals. Scholarships are provided through the generous support of individual donations and corporate sponsors who believe in the mission of Black Achievers and the YMCA. Please consider making a scholarship contribution for our students.
Corporate Sponsorship Opportunities
In addition to generous donations, corporate sponsorships allow companies to provide academic, career and personal support to Black Achievers students and families.
Through corporate sponsorships, businesses and organizations can also nominate successful role models to volunteer their time and talents to serve as Adult Achievers for the school year. Adult Achievers are recognized for their professional skills, program support and their desire to give back to the community.