YMCA of Central Kentucky swim teams are competitive programs that focus on the development of all ages and abilities.
Our trained coaches work to improve swimmers' skill level, endurance and to promote a healthy lifestyle. Our program embraces the YMCA core values and promotes progression at an individual level. Individual teams are organized by ability levels and are designed to help team members improve and refine the four competitive strokes, starts and turns, and finishes.
Workouts include endurance, speed and drill techniques, with a healthy dose of teamwork and sportsmanship.
BARRACUDAS IN TRAINING (BIT)
Ages 5-12 BIT is designed to move swimmers from pre-competitive level to competitive level. It is highly recommended that participants pass Level 6 of swim lessons before moving to BIT. Swimmers MUST be able to swim a 50 of both freestyle (with rotary breathing) and backstroke as well as have basic knowledge of both Breaststroke and Butterfly. Emphasis in this group will be to refine stroke techniques for the four competitive strokes: racing starts ,turns, finishes and building endurance. This program is great for summer league swimmers or children coming out of swim lessons. Swimmers will be more successful in this program if they have swim fins (not snorkeling fins), goggles, and swim caps.
Mondays/Wednesdays, 4:30-5:15 p.m. and Tuesdays/Thursdays, 5:30-6:15 p.m.
Member: $55; Non-Member: $110 (Offered at the C.M. Gatton Beaumont YMCA only)
ADULT YMCA SWIM CLUB
Ages 18 and older A group for YMCA members to better themselves and their community through weekly workouts in the pool, seminars/stroke clinics and monthly philanthropic endeavors.
Swimming guided workouts with a YMCA aquatics director
Two times per week
Wednesdays, 6:15-7:15 a.m. and Fridays, 2-3 p.m.
Free for YMCA members (Offered at the C.M. Gatton Beaumont YMCA only)
- Monthly volunteer projects
- Clinics and specialized training
- Stroke clinics
- Triathlon training
- Social events
For more information or questions, contact Beth Keith at 859-367-7305.
YOUTH PRE-SWIM TEAMS
Ages 4-12 The Pre-Swim Team will work on building endurance and enhance your swimmer’s technique in the water with a focus on freestyle and backstroke. Lead by swim team coaches. This program is great for swimmers who do summer leagues, and country club swimming.
*Requirements: Must have completed Stage 3 in swim lessons.
Sept. 17-Dec. 15
Mondays and Wednesdays: 6-6:45 p.m. and Saturdays, 11:30 a.m.- 12:15 p.m.
Member: $200; Non-Member: $275 (Offered at the North Lexington Family YMCA only)
YOUTH SWIM TEAMS
Ages 5-18The YMCA of Central Kentucky is the home to two swimteams - C.M. Gatton Beaumont YMCA Barracudas and North Lexington Family YMCA Tigersharks. Our trained coaches work to improve swimmers' skill level, endurance and to promote a healthy lifestyle. Our program embraces the YMCA core values and promotes progression at an individual level. Program participants are organized by ability levels that are designed to help team members improve and refine the four competitive strokes, sets, starts and finishes. Our swim teams compete with other Ys and swim clubs at area meets and have the option to participate in USA swimming.
TIGERSHARKS SWIM TEAM REGISTRATION
Registration is open to everyone and must be completed in person at the North Lexington Family YMCA. When you register at the front desk, please inform the membership staff that you were on the team last year and they can inform you as to which group your swimmer will be placed in. Membership staff cannot change the group your swimmer was placed in. Please contact Brittany Brewer with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-367-7373.
Fees for swim team are based on which group your swimmer is in.
- Group 1 $375
- Group 2 $400
- Group 3 $400
- Group 4 $400
- Group 5 $425
- At the time of registration only the $100 deposit is due and is non-refundable. The deposit is included in the swim team fees.
- Fees are due in full on Sept. 9 unless you have scheduled automatic payments. You can schedule automatic payments at the time of registration. Payment may be split into three payments, with the deposit due at time of registration. The front desk staff will be able to assist you with the payment plan during registration.
There are two different type of discounts available if you qualify, sibling discount and financial assistance, they cannot be combined. Financial assistance must be completed prior to registration through the business office. Forms can be found online at https://ymcacky.org/financial-assistance and at the membership desk.
- Sibling Discount
- $50 off second child
- $100 off third child and on
- Deposit is non-refundable.
- Cancellation before the first day of practice will receive a 100% refund excluding deposit.
- Cancellation on the first day of practice through Oct. 31 will receive a 50% refund, excluding the deposit.
- Cancellation on the first day of November and after refund is forfeited.
When does practice start?
Swim Team Practice will begin on Sept. 9. Below is the group practice schedule and when the parent meeting for your child will be. All parent meetings are held during the first week of practice and during your child’s practice time. It is important that you attend these meetings, as volunteering requirements have changed for this season. By attending the parent meeting you will receive one credit hour toward your volunteer commitment.
- Each swimmer is responsible for raising $50 for the swim team. We will have different fundraising activities throughout the season that can assist with fundraising.
- Each family is required to fulfill 16 volunteer hours. One hour of volunteer service can be accumulated by attending the parent meeting during the first week of practice.
- Volunteer hours for each meet are set. Some meets last longer than others, therefore the actual hours of volunteering will fluctuate. The times listed, are estimates so please allow for delays, etc. Please keep this in mind when signing up for volunteer positions.
- At home meets if your child is in the meet, you are required to volunteer. Without you (our volunteers), we aren't able to host home meets (Unless there are extenuating circumstances and in this case, please inform the volunteer coordinator as soon as possible.)
North Lexington Family YMCA TigerSharks Group Practice Schedule
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5-5:45 p.m.
- Sundays, 2:30-3:15 p.m.
- Parent Meeting: Thursday Sept. 12, 5pm at the outdoor Pavilion
- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays , 5-6 p.m.
- Parent Meeting: Friday, Sept, 13, 5 p.m. at the outdoor Pavilion
- Mondays and Wednesdays: 7-8 p.m.
- Fridays: 6-7 p.m.
- Parent Meeting: Friday, Sept. 13, 6 p.m. at the outdoor Pavilion
- Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 7-8 p.m.
- Parent Meeting: Friday, Sept. 13, 7 p.m. at the Pavilion
- Mondays-Thursdays: 8-9:30 p.m.
- Parent meeting: Tuesday, Sept. 10, 8 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose room